If you’ve moved before then you’ve probably asked yourself, “How should I pack my household items?” It may seem trivial, but it’s a major component of any relocation if you’re packing yourself. A list of household goods packing tips could be a long checklist of criteria one might have to go over when considering moving personal goods overseas.
It goes without saying that improper packing is one of the major concerns when it comes to breakages and damage. Based on our years as an international moving company, we’ve created a comprehensive list of tips for packing household goods to help with any move, overseas or cross-country.
How to Pack Household Goods Safely for Moving Overseas
Following are some of the basic materials one should consider to use for household Goods packing Safely for Moving Overseas:
- Always insist on using strong boxes to pack the fragile items
- Make sure the bottom of the box has additional tape to prevent opening when lifted
- Wrap all fragile items individually in bubble wrap or packing paper
- Corrugated boxes that can be closed shut are highly recommended to secure your belongings
- Plan on using a lot of strong packaging tape, labels and markers to clearly identify the content being places in various boxes
- Try and use blank newspapers, plastics or bubble wraps to fill the empty spaces in the cartons
Different household goods will have to be handled in different ways to ensure they are secured correctly packed and can be moved easily. One could come across all sorts of different household goods varying in shapes, sizes and weights. Investing time and effort by creating an international moving checklist also helps ease out the entire process. It’s a good practice to reach out to overseas moving companies and seek information from their knowledge database.
Following are some pointers to pack some of the commonly found household items:
- Remember to unplug all electronics
- Refrigerators need to be unplugged 24 hrs prior to loading as they need to drain of excess water and ice
- Tape the inner table in a microwave oven so it does not move inside and break the glass door
- Check the device manuals for all appliances for any special instructions
- Double pack electronics with glass screens safely to ensure they do not break
- Fragile bone china and ceramic kitchenware needs to be packed in bubble wrap
- Glass containers and sharp cutlery should be wrapped with extra packaging
- Place paper between all plates/bowls/cups and dinnerware to prevent chipping and breaking
- Wrap cutlery and utensils together in tight bundles and bubble wrap before putting in boxes
- Wine glasses/ vases / crystal pieces etc, should all be double wrapped in paper and bubble wrap
Small Furniture Products
- Ensure the edges are fully covered to prevent chipping
- Remember to protect the surfaces with a bed sheet to prevent scratches
- This furniture will probably be double stacked in the truck and container so all surfaces must be well protected
- For a more comprehensive list, read our advice for packing furniture
Other Moving Goods Overseas
Books can be packed in corrugated boxes – don’t over pack large boxes as books are heavy. Pack in multiple small boxes
- International sized bags could be used to pack clothes and shoes
- Wardrobe boxes with hangers are available from your service provider
- Photo frames can be packed by placing packaging paper between multiple frames
- Fine art, pianos, and musical instruments all have unique requirements for packing – please consult your service provider
The most important thing is to have an in-depth discussion with your shipping consultant while making your initial inquiry. If you disclose all-important information about all the articles that you need moving, it makes the whole process easier to organize from a shipping, packing and loading point of view. We offer professional and affordable packing services to all our clients who may not have the time to pack themselves
International Moving Process: Remember, moving internationally is a three-step process.
Making sure you have all your household goods packed thoroughly, either by yourself or a professional moving crew
Moving these items from the house to the loading warehouse for loading into a container for ocean freight
Careful unpacking of the goods upon arrival at your new destination.
If you are looking for a one stop shop and a company that will manage all three of these aspects and give you peace of mind, or have questions about your international move, Taylor Movers will be happy to work with you.
Four Tips For Choosing A SaaS Solution For Your Small Business Shipping Needs